Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Little Taste of Our Fall Decorating

KAG posted about the mum and pumpkin concept-I ended up using fake mums because I was worried that real ones would rot very quickly. I have to say I was quite satisfied with the end result and even my mom was cooing when she visited :) thanks for the idea!
I love decorating and finding little pieces throughout my travels to bring into the home and incorporate into our life so that everything feels homey and pulled together but not generic. I don't want things to feel too staged either-I want the pieces to be traditional with a nod to rustic and chic and not to all be from Target or TJ Max. I love things with character. Not to say I didn't go to Richards (I guess thats the California version of Michaels :) ) and pick up a few things---what I am getting at is, its nice to use what you have already around the house in your overall vision instead of running to the store to pick up a filler that you might only like for a month or so. For example, I took gifted brass candlesticks that were a wedding present and little watering cans that were a favor at Caroline and Tom's Maryland wedding and turned my prized possessions into something to treasure. These already owned items can transition you from one season to the next. All you have to do is get creative. Because a little creativity can go a long way.

This year, since we didn't have a Halloween party and don't have kids (yet). I wanted to decorate more for Fall then for Halloween and I really tried to make it feel like Autumn around Apartment #267, hopefully I was successful. I can't wait for Christmas, as the hubby and I are planning on having a housewarming party and inviting some of his family over for the occasion.

Striped straws in mason jars, a fun centerpiece, maybe an antique wagon with some mini trees and tinsel. The ideas are brewing already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment