Saturday, October 8, 2011

Carey's Famous Cozy Pumpkin Oatmeal

(photos courtesy of this blog)

Maybe a year ago or so, my now sister-in-law (so cool to officially say) Carey, was cooking up her famous recipe at my parent's home and I remember being intrigued. Pumpkin and oatmeal together? Interesting. I watched her assemble the ingredients which include:

Oatmeal:
1/2 cup of rolled oats
1 cup of water or soy milk/regular milk (or 1/2 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of milk)
dash of salt

Rest of ingredients:
1/3 cup of canned pumpkin (I like Trader Joes)
1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (I like a little extra)
1 tablespoon of walnuts (almond slivers, pecans can be substituted)
a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice (which includes cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and cloves)-if you don't have this spice, you can add in the spices individually or combine them as you like

The finished product spoke of a gorgeous burnt orange color, a wonderful smell and had a nice depth of flavor you don't usually find in your morning oatmeal. I have her to thank every time I eat this scrumptious morning favorite...during Fall and right on into Winter. It warms me up inside and out. Nom Nom!


1 comment: