Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chocolate Tooth

Help yourself to a few squares of dark chocolate to end the night with a sweet treat. I know I'm a sucker for chocolate but have to say I've turned into quite the chocolate snob, I like chocolate, real, real dark and if you enter our apartment, you will always find a few bars laying around, waiting to be tested, judged and the ingredients to be questioned.

Tonight, I highly recommend:

Normally I am not really that impressed with Lindt chocolate and think it is missing a richness in cocoa and instead has too much sugar or fake stuff hiding the true chocolatey essence. I have to agree with Gigi's Review below that the sea salt crystals play the perfect partner to the Dark Lindt Chocolate and I love the subtle crunch in there too.

I saw this commentary on the Gigi Review and thought it discussed what I was thinking pretty well:

"Keep in mind I am not a huge fan of Lindt. It's not that I find it bad or even substandard; it's just that I am just not usually wowed by it.
This bar, however, impressed me. It has a great aroma to it; a very rich cocoa. It's like the perfume of a million happy little Toll House morsels -- and I mean that in the best way possible. The chocolate itself is mild for a dark, probably because it's only 47% cocoa.Personally, it reminds me of a very deep milk chocolate. It's very creamy and has a fabulous melt.

The sea salt is the clear star here. As best I can tell, the salt seems to rest mainly on the top of the bar. There's not a lot of it...just enough to set off the chocolate beautifully. There is a savory element to it that I am not sure I can do justice to...about all I can say is it just makes the chocolate better. There are also little salt crystals mixed throughout the bar that add a nice, slightly crunchy texture. And I love the way they melt on the tongue.

This bar is so good mostly because it's so simple. There's no glitz, no excess, no edgy, super-trendy ingredient (yes, bacon, I mean
you), but that's exactly the point. It's as basic yet elegant as the classic little black dress. It should not be missed."

1 comment:

  1. I have dark chocolate every night b4 bed too! That's so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete