Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kate(Lindemann)Spade

I am thrilled to be Kate's first guest columnist! For my post, I wanted to blend Kate's style with my own and showcase how to mix the two. It took me a while to figure out how I was going to do this, but yesterday, on the way to the laundromat (with my laundry in a plastic trash bag over my shoulder, so classy!) I stopped in front of Kate Spade.



I have been loving KS's classic feminine style and am totally into her new line for spring! I love taking KS's ladylike pieces and mixing them with masculine/rock and roll inspired accessories and shoes to create a feminine yet edgy look. This formula is essentially:

Kate's Closet
+ Lavinia's Closet

My favorite piece from the fall line (all card's on the table here, I bought it, 75% off at Clinton Crossing Outlets after Christmas--- still on a budget!) is the briella ruffle dress, still available 'here'.
I pair it with my Stuart Weitzman studded booties.


I think the reason that KS's pieces blend so well with an edgier twist is that they are not overly girl-y. KS's lines are feminine, yes, but clean, classic and very versatile at the core. A true sign of design quality, for me, is this versatility. I do not want the clothes I am wearing to dictate my style; I want the pieces I choose to express a look that is defined by me and the slant that I put on the look as a whole. In this vein, I think I can look like myself whether I am wearing preppy inspired Kate Spade or crazy inspired Betsy Johnson. Every girl should be able to dress herself out of a friends' closet.

I wandered around the store, which is conveniently located a block from my apartment, and snapped some photos of the my favorites pieces in the Spring Line!


Absolutely LOVE these envelope clutches with the lucite/gold bow clasps. Think they would be the perfect accent to black skinny jeans and platform spike heels, like these babies below, by Alejandro Ingelmo (available 'here').

Love this perfectly round satisfyingly red bag. The leather was so soft to the touch and the red hue is very distinct, almost a red/coral combo. It would look great against any sort of neutral tan or flesh tone. I am loving the combination of brights/neons against neutrals for spring.



Do these really require any sort of explanation? I know this is a stretch, but I could totally see rocking these with some distressed jean shorts and a super casual tank...total glam/grunge combo. Obsessed.

These remind me of the iconic chain strap Chanel Purses, to whom I pledge my undying love. I have actually found TWO of the Chanel bags at flea markets here in the city- A-Mazing!!


I think Kate Spade's spring purse line drew inspiration from the classics. These also remind my of an iconic purse - the Louis Vuitton Speedy Bag, which I actually am not a fan of due to its total ubiquity, but these I think are great!


I noticed this book on my way out and was pulled in by its DIY vibe-- it is absolutely unbelievable!!! (Available 'here' ). It has the most amazing collection of classic, simple DIY projects, I am TOTALLY buying a copy ASAP.


Lastly, how cute is this iPhone case?


Hope this was a successful first guest post!!! Cannot wait to have Kate take her turn on mine! Visit me 'here' at ninehundredandfifty.blogspot.com!

XX
L



No comments:

Post a Comment